Racing: It’s Easy to Get Started!
Facebook for the series
2017 OBRA Junior Team Champions Bend Endurance Academy!
2018 Junior Mountain Bike Series
The Junior MTB Series is a points-based competition made up of best 3 out of 4 separate races for those with a racing age of 10 to 18. The Junior Team Competition is a companion competition within the same 3 out of 4 races. Thanks to John Wilson, Bill Walburton, Kenji and many others that make this series happen!
Get involved! e-mail bill
Table of Contents
- Age and Category Definitions
- OJMS & Team Rules
- JMS Individual Competition
- Team Competition
- Rider Membership and Eligibility
- How to register your Junior team
- Race Schedule
- Expert Junior Upgrade Form
- Oregon Off Road Series and Juniors
1. Age & Category Definitions
OBRA and the Junior MTB, and Junior Team Competition will use the “Race Age” as defined by OBRA. This is your age in the current calendar year as of December 31. For example if your birthday is November 1st, and let’s say in January of the race year you are 15, your race age will be 16 for that entire year since you will be 16 on December 31st that year.
All events in the Oregon Off-road Series and OBRA Junior MTB Series will have the following Junior categories:
- Cat 3 (Novice) Junior Men 10-13 (Beginner Course)
- Cat 3 (Novice) Junior Men 14-18 (Beginner Course)
- Cat 3 (Novice) Junior Expert Men 14-18 (Sport Course)
- Cat 3 (Novice) Junior Women 10-13 (Beginner Course)
- Cat 3 (Novice) Junior Women 14-18 (Beginner Course)
- Junior Cat 1 (Expert) Women 14-18 (Sport Course)*
- Junior Cat 1 (Expert) Men 14-18 (Sport Course)*
- Requires Upgrade* See form this page
2. OJMS & Team Rules
2-1. OJMS Individual Competition –
- The JMS is a 4 race series with the best 3 results counting.
- There are no Double Point races in the series. Each race counts the same with lowest points winning
- Individual age/gender category racers will accumulate points over the best 4 out of 5 JMS race series (each racer can throw out their two lowest race scores).
- Individual points will be earned and recorded through the JMS finish placing.
- For individuals, we will use the following points schedule from first through twenty-fourth placing: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 ect
- The top rider in each JMS age category will earn a series champion jersey courtesy of Castelli-US presented at each event to the new Series Leader.
- Only racers finishing 4 events will be tallied in the final results
2-2. Junior Team Competition
- Junior teams may enter more than 4 members per race but only the top three finishers will count towards team points for a given race.
- New for 2018. Junior teams can be OBRA based and or Rouge with a composite team of up to 5 members with a unique team name if registered prior to the series at least 72 hrs before the first event. You will still individually score points for your OBRA team but also be able to combine forces to compete with other Juniors state wide and beyond.
- Teams will be coed. Points can be accrued by Men or Women. A team with Junior Women will do quite well as the boys outnumber the girls 4-1.
- Points will be awarded by your JMS individual age category finish position. Theoretically teams can have three first place finishes. For example, first Men 10-13 Novice, first Women 10-13 Novice, and first Women 14-18 Expert (obviously many other combinations are possible).
- We will track team points for teams that do not finish at least 2 racers, but it is a requirement to have at least three members on a team to be officially recognized as a junior team finishing and scoring at an event.
- The Junior Team competition will accumulate points over the best 3 out of 4 OJMS race series (each team can throw out their lowest race score).
- We discourage adding racers to teams in the second half of the race series. We want to avoid bringing in a “Ringer”. Teams should be established early. If you add racers through the season it will be judged acceptable, or not by the discretion of the series promoter. Also, racers cannot change teams during the calendar year. Once you are assigned to a team you are only eligible for that team for the remainder of the series.
- Junior Team points will be tracked separately and do not count towards OBRA BAR.
- For teams we will use a flat point schedule starting at 1. One point increments. 1st through 30th.This keeps the team completion very tight, and exciting.
- The points schedule will be equal between Men, Women, and age.
- Final top Team will receive a custom plaque and 3 entries to each event the following season.
- Please note that if you own a jersey already you will not be given a new jersey.
3. Rider Membership & Eligibility
All racers must be members of the Oregon Bicycle Racing Association (OBRA). Annual licenses are $ 10 for juniors. Apply online or at the event day of race. Membership info can be found at the OBRA Web site: http://obra.org
Any three or more riders may form a junior team. A junior participating in the Junior MTB Series can be scored as both an individual, or as a team member. A junior may only participate on one team.
BAR points will be accrued in accordance with OBRA rules. Only individual scoring will contribute to the BAR. The junior team competition is a separate points system.
4. How to register your Junior team
Junior teams must be registered. It is free to form a team.
Form to register a team HERE
Teams can register at any point in the season (ie any time before the start of the final fifth race of the JMS). However, points will not be back calculated. If you register after the start of the season you will only accrue team points from that point forward.
It is critical for the results calculations that a rider name, age, and OBRA license number are all accurately input into the OBRA data base. Without this information, we cannot determine the team make up, and points/scoring.
An administrator will be identified who will set up the OJMS Teams. This individual’s contact information will be identified on the OBRA web page. Team coaches will send the names of their racers (spelled correctly) to the OJMS Team administrator who will input the team into the OBRA data base. You will be able to check your team to verify if everything is correct. You can contact the administrator to make corrections
(Best 3 finishes for Teams and Individuals with the final race deciding any ties)
6. Junior Expert Upgrade Request
By default, juniors should race on the short course in their appropriate junior age category because mountain biking can be very challenging for young riders and we want to ensure that their race experience is enjoyable.
Junior riders cannot “race up” into an older junior age-group, but they may request an upgrade into “Junior Expert” once they have met these requirements:
Please note that on occasion OBRA reserves the right to award a Cat 1 (Expert) 19-39 upgrade to a select few 17-year-olds that have achieved in both effort and DNA the all out horsepower and skills needed for this upgrade.
- Age 14 – 18 by the end of the current year and:
- Previous Off Road Series or Junior Mountain Bike Series Winner or
- Three podiums in mountain bike races within previous 12 months.
- Must consent to racing with adults on challenging courses with long distances and race times of over 2 hours.
Some very exceptional juniors may race Elite once they have received their USAC Cat1/Pro license or once they have dominated the Junior Expert class. We are not holding riders back from upgrading as needed, but we want to ensure riders progress through the appropriate category levels for their safety on course.
If you have met these requirements, please fill out this form at least 1 week prior to your event:
Faster, experienced juniors who desire a bigger challenge on a longer course can apply for an upgrade into the “Junior Expert” category. These Junior Expert waves will usually be run in with the adult sport categories, but check staging for each event for confirmation. Race times will vary and may be over 2 hours at some events so this is for advanced and prepared riders only. See the form below or click here to request your upgrade.
Please fill out this form if you want an upgrade to Junior Expert Men or Women for 14 years and older. This form will go to OBRA, Bill from the Bend Endurance Academy and Mike Ripley the Series Director. Thank you parents!
Some extra details
Juniors at Oregon Off Road Series Events
Don’t stop with just the OBRA Junior Mountain Bike Series — all eight races in the Oregon Off Road Series have junior categories. Scoring is different at the Oregon series to reward you when you place ahead of others in larger fields.
- Race awards each of the 7 events same points
- Best 4 results count towards series points out of 7 events
- Series winners in each Junior Category will receive a beautiful jersey from Primal Wear
- Scoring details for 2018 Oregon Off Road Series
- 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 ect for Cat 1 (Expert) with 50% more points for Cat 3 (Novice) groups
- Straight points for the Junior Categories listed above (No Bonus points)
- Make sure to have a Team Captain check your points weekly on every Wednesday as results become final for series scoring. All scoring and results are final per the series by Mid week each week.
- Upgrades after approval will allow you to carry 200% of your point with you at anytime. Your vacated points will be left in the previous category. Score 1 point and move 2 to the next category.
Extra event to participate in
The OBRA State championship will include 2 year age break downs for OBRA State Championships and be announced when scheduled!
Check obra.org for this year OBRA State Championship for the chance to earn the right to purchase a OBRA State Championship Jersey.
Thank you for the support